Re: Can I downgrade X?

Jim Cornette wrote:

>>Xorg does not work properly on my Sony Picturebook C1VFK.
>>XFree86 did work properly under FC-1.
>>Is there any way of downgrading to the older version of XFree86?

> What video card does this Sony model use? Is the below correct?
>
> Processor type        Transmeta Crusoe TM5600
>
> Processor speed       667 MHz
>
> RAM installed         128 MB
>
> Dimensions (WxDxH)    24.8 x 15.2 x 2.7 cm
>
> System weight         1 kg
>
> Travel weight (with AC adapter and external peripherals)      1.25 kg
>
> Display size  8.95 in.
>
> Graphics chipset      ATi 3D Rage Mobility-M1

Dear Jim,

Thanks very much for your useful info.
The details above are correct,
except that the graphics chipset seems to be
ATI Rage Mobility P/M .
I've never understood what this P/M means ,
as it never seems to be given on lists of ATI cards.

What is slightly frustrating is that no error is reported
if one sets Default Depth to 16 (or 15) -
X appears to be running, but the screen is completely blank.

Incidentally, there is - or was - quite an active
Picturebook + Linux community,
though activity is gradually dying out
as the machines or their users perish.
But no-one as far as I know has ever succeeded
in getting Xorg running properly at more than 8bpp.
(I have an 800x375x16bpp setting,
but it is unsatisfactory in various ways.
Under FC-1 X ran at 1024x480x16bpp perfectly.)

I guess the other question I would have -
apart from downgrading the whole X system -
is whether it would be possible to downgrade just the ATI server?
I tried running the old server with Xorg
but this threw up lots of errors.

I've never looked into the source of X -
although I am fairly proficient at coding -
because of its apparent size and complexity.

I've wondered whether it is possible
to find exactly what bytes are being sent to the screen
by running X in some debug mode?
If that were possible I could compare the output
of Xorg and the previous XFree86.

As ever, any suggestions or advice -
eg pointers to any relevant documentation -
gratefully received,

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366