Re: (newbie) sendmail Masquerading Help?

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 03:15:36PM -0400, Jorge Luis wrote:

>     Harry> Again it sounds as if the problem is solved... is that the
>     Harry> case?
>
> Yes, it seems to be working fine with:
>
>      MASQUERADE_AS(`jorge.cc')dnl
>      FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
>      FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
>
> Thanks to you and to Alexander for the assistance.

Since it is working do not change things!

I watched this and I suspect that a more productive
thought process would have been authentication and a
smart host.

Various ISP's and mail hosts are validating the
host name and the address.   This can be very hard
to do on DHCP+dynamicDNS hosts.

Some hosts will do a forward or reverse lookup and toss you
as you can for them.

 dnl FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl

Some hosts will notice that you are connecting from a dialup/dhcp
address range and reject you as possibly open relay or virus infected
host.  Most large companies have turned on most of the rejection knobs
because of spam via open relays and viruses.

MASQUERADE_AS.... has a strong place for incoming mail.  It also has a
strong place for outcoming mail when you want to 'hide' the internal
hosts (rewrite headers) that cannot be connected to from outside.
Rewriting headers can cause mail replies to be delivered to a central
host for spam filtering and virus scanning.

I suspect that authentication and delivery via smart host will be the
most common thing folks need now and in the coming 18 months.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Just say no to 74LS73 in 2004