Re: Upgrading Python on FC2

Am Mi, den 18.08.2004 schrieb Brandon Laing um 18:26:

> Just wondering if anyone has upgraded their version of Python that comes with Fedora 2  (2.3.3) to a newer version. I ask
> because 2.3.4 is out, and has been for a while now, with some bugfixes. We're installing Python on some Windows systems
> that will be working alongside with Linux and would like to keep the versions consistent, and naturally would like to use the
> newest version. Is there an easy way to upgrade the version of Python that comes pre-installed on FC2, or am I just better off
> installing the older version on the Windows boxes? I've searched around and can't seem to find anything about installing Python
> 2.3.X on Fedora 2 at all.

Replace your Python 2.3.3 with a newer version you will have no fun. I
think you do not imagine what all will break. Keep your fingers off.
What you can think off may be a parallel installation of Python 2.3.4,
but do you do that much with Python that this change would really count?
What would you win? (Even when running Zope and Plone - which are pure
Python based, huge applications - there is no general need and
recommendation to use Python 2.3.4.)

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp
Serendipity 19:02:56 up 14 days, 12:30, load average: 0.66, 0.34, 0.41