Re: Logic for network-scripts?

Joe Christy wrote:

I recently replaced a laptop with a removable PCMCIA 802.11 card with one that has its 802.11 built in.

Is there a clever way to have FC2 try to ifup the wireless if, and only if, ifup'ing the fixed ethernet fails?

On my old laptop, I could simply insert the PCMCIA card before I boot w/o the ethernet plugged in and leave it out otherwise. That way one or the other would be guaranteed to fail. Now, when the ethernet is plugged in, both interfaces come up and I have routing conflicts.

    Joe

Nothing automatic about it but you could use system-config-network to create multiple network profiles, one in which wireless is active, and the other in which the wired ethernet is active. Then use the "netprofile=aProfile" kernel argument at boot to select the profile you need. The latter can become grub boot menu choices by duplicating the lines for the default boot in /boot/grub/grub.conf, then adding the netprofile= setting to the end of the kernel line in each (using different profile names) and changing the names of the two boot entries accordingly.

  Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021