Re: Updating from standard 32 bit smp FC2 install tokernel-smp-2.6.7-1.494.2.2.i686.rpm breaks X

Once upon a time Monday 16 August 2004 1:48 pm, Seth Bardash wrote:

> Needed to run 32 bit apps.
You do realise you can still run 32 bit apps with the 64 bit os installed dont
you?  if you look at the X86_64 tree you will see for instance
libstdc++-3.4.1-7.i386.rpm       20-Jul-2004 06:45   262k
libstdc++-3.4.1-7.x86_64.rpm     20-Jul-2004 06:56   269k

it has the 32 bit libraries  as well as the 64 bit ones

> This bug makes it impossible to keep a graphical login on this
> machine and puts a user in an untenable position after an update..
have you tired using vesa drivers? you should still get x with that  which
version kernel are you using that is causing the problem  is there anything
in the x log to indicate what is locking up?
> Simply stated the update breaks the O/S (kernel) and requires a
> reload if yum is used to update the kernel. I used rpm -ivh so I
> could boot the old kernel and take out the update (after using yum
> the first time, blindly trusting it would work correctly and
> finding the system only usable in run level 3)
i know yum installs new kernels and doesnt upgrade them  by defualt  i did it
today.  it will only overwrite the existing kernel if you configure it to

> Inexperienced users could completely hose the system and need to
> either reinstall the O/S or reinstall the release kernel...
 It should still be there

> Shadows of recent Windows XP updates keep going through my
> mind.....

hmm ok