FC1 Install _appeared_ to work, BUT...

Greetings all

I used to run RHL7.3, dual booting, on a Sony Vaio laptop.  When I tried to upgrade to FC1 I seemed to be successful except that quite a few apps and utils on the GUI did absolutely nothing when I clicked them.  When I tried to "fix" such anomalies by updating (via up2date) I really shot myself in the foot, it seems.  Things went from bad to worse so I tried to reinstall FC1 from the CDs (which check OK by media check).  Although that install went without hitch, bootup now ends up with only a mouse pointer on a blank screen.  The pointer moves, over the entire screen, at least.  Unfortunately, that will only amuse me for 30 to 40 minutes at a stretch.  I really should expand my horizons and search for more, don't you agree?

<Ctrl><Alt><F##> does nothing, and my MCSE training has left me ill prepared for real computer diagnosis that I now need.  I don't even know how to force a boot into text mode, much less how to figure out where my Xwindows config went wrong (as it used to work, and I can still find my old files on the HD).

Now that I let the cat out of the bag regarding my perspective of experience I will expect the (perhaps deserved) hazing for ever having had any affiliation w/ Big Bill, but that's another story.  Can any compassionate soul out there point me in a reasonable direction to diagnose this and get back in operational mode, please and thank you???

Humbly,

Pa