RE: Updating from standard 32 bit smp FC2 install tokernel-smp-2.6.7-1.494.2.2.i686.rpm breaks X

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dennis
Gilmore
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 12:28 PM
To: seth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; For users of Fedora Core
releases
Subject: Re: Updating from standard 32 bit smp FC2 install
tokernel-smp-2.6.7-1.494.2.2.i686.rpm breaks X

Once upon a time Monday 16 August 2004 1:20 pm, Seth Bardash
wrote:
> Just entered this in bugzilla:
>
> Description of problem:
>
> Did standard 32 bit FC2 install on a dual opteron 246 system
based
> on
> the Arima HDAMA-SATA (ATO2161) motherboard with 2GB of Memory (4

>Any reason why you did not use the 64  bit release on the
machine?  not an
>ideal fix  but you ould change the x driver to vesa and see if
that works

>Dennis

Needed to run 32 bit apps.

This bug makes it impossible to keep a graphical login on this
machine and puts a user in an untenable position after an update..

Simply stated the update breaks the O/S (kernel) and requires a
reload if yum is used to update the kernel. I used rpm -ivh so I
could boot the old kernel and take out the update (after using yum
the first time, blindly trusting it would work correctly and
finding the system only usable in run level 3)

Inexperienced users could completely hose the system and need to
either reinstall the O/S or reinstall the release kernel...

Shadows of recent Windows XP updates keep going through my
mind.....

;-)

Seth Bardash

Integrated Solutions and Systems
1510 North Gate Road
Colorado Springs, CO 80921

http://www.integratedsolutions.org

Phone: 719-495-5866
Fax:   719-495-5870

Supplier of AMD, Intel and SPARC Servers and Systems running
Windows, Linux, Solaris and VxWorks.

---