Re: HELP: making static routes permanent between reboots in fedora core 2

Hi,

> I have been grappling with this problem for the
> several hours.
>
> My host: 192.168.252.2
> Target: 144.16.49.32
> Gateway: 192.168.252.1
>
> I added the route using "route add" and everything
> was working fine. But
> when I rebooted the machine, all the changes are
> gone, i.e., "route"
> command doesn't show the gateway in the list.  I
> tried various things
> including using the system-config-network GUI. I
> also have the following
> in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-eth0:
> GATEWAY0=192.168.252.1
> NETMASK0=255.255.255.0
> ADDRESS0=144.16.49.32
>
> I also tried various things that were suggested in
> the web about static
> routes in Redhat 9. Nothing seems to work.
>
> It will be great if some can tell me the procedure
> for adding static
> routes that will survive the reboots.
>
> Thanks,
> Sathish

This has been discussed before on the list, you can
have a search of the list archives to see the
different options available.

The one I found best was to create the "route-eth0"
file in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory,
and include your static routing information in there,
eg:

203.xxx.xxx.0/24 via 203.xxx.xxx.1

Then reboot (or stop and start the network).

There are other ways too, which is why you should look
at the list archives, but this was the better way I
think.

Michael.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com