HELP: making static routes permanent between reboots in fedora core 2

Hi,

I have been grappling with this problem for the several hours.

My host: 192.168.252.2
Target: 144.16.49.32
Gateway: 192.168.252.1

I added the route using "route add" and everything was working fine. But
when I rebooted the machine, all the changes are gone, i.e., "route"
command doesn't show the gateway in the list.  I tried various things
including using the system-config-network GUI. I also have the following
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-eth0:
GATEWAY0=192.168.252.1
NETMASK0=255.255.255.0
ADDRESS0=144.16.49.32

I also tried various things that were suggested in the web about static
routes in Redhat 9. Nothing seems to work.

It will be great if some can tell me the procedure for adding static
routes that will survive the reboots.

Thanks,
Sathish