upgrading between versions using apt

Is it possible to upgrade between full versions using apt? For example from FC1 to FC2. It upgraded most packages, although I had to do a lot of them in small chunks. But now it's at a stage where it wants to delete a lot of necessary packages, including both installed kernels. I've tried this on several computers and on the one I really needed to be fully operational, I gave up and used the cd's to do a proper upgrade which worked just fine. What does the installer do that just upgrading the packages using apt can not do?