Re: Disabling NFS stuff

John Wendel wrote:
On Thursday 12 August 2004 11:36 am, netmask wrote:

According to webmin, these are the services related to NFS:
netfs
nfslock
rpcgssd
rpcidmapd
rpcsvcgssd
portmap

But I'm curious if those services will be used by something else
not NFS related ?
Especially portmap. Do I need this if NFS is disabled ?

It'll be safe (and recommended) to disable all of those.. FAM needs portmap.. but not much utilizes FAM today.. Maybe in the GUI world it does. Anyone?

Things that use fam usually have a less efficient fall-back if fam is not running. I don't run fam (or portmap) and things still work.

Thanks for all your answers!

I disabled everything except "portmap" since "sgi_fam" seems to be
running aswell. That's OK, since I wanted to speed up boot and now
idmapd should not start, so it will be faster.
I'll see when I reboot next time. If you don't hear from me in the
future, something really went wrong *g* ;-)

Thanks again,
Hannes.