Re: MORE SSH Hacking: heads-up

Am Do, den 12.08.2004 schrieb Brad Smith um 19:13:

> Ok, I'll go ahead and risk embarrassment in the name of enlightenment
> and ask: If the traffic between client and server is encrypted, even
> with access to the sshd system, how does one "sniff" traffic sent
> between two local processes (sshd and su) without a keylogger, which
> wouldn't apply since the keyboard in question is on the client-side?

> Is there some technique for eavesdropping on inter-process
> communications that I don't know about, then, or did I just
> misunderstand you?

> Brad

The question is about "potential weakness". Certainly an attacker has to
use bugs on the system (the server if you speak about remote machines in
this case) to be able to listen to inter-process communications or
trojans to get what a user types in when trying to become root.

At all you did understand me right. What netmask just in this moment
replied explains it a bit better than I did.

In the field of security you always have to observe the weakest points
of a system or a structure. So my intention was not to say "hey, ssh in
as normal user and then su to root is a security hole". But I wanted to
point out that you might have a risk if feeling too safe.

You know where this thread is coming from, what the starting point was.
It is exactly that, that obviously too much Linux admins believe that
Linux is secure by architecture or what else. It is obvious from my
investigations too, that the hackers/crackers get access to vulnerable
Linux hosts as unprivileged users and then using local exploits to
become root. I know, many Linux admins think local root exploits are
much less severe than remote root exploits. This is wrong and we now see
to what it leads, unfortunately.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp
Serendipity 19:31:34 up 8 days, 12:59, load average: 1.36, 1.31, 1.48