Re: Documentation of services

James Wilkinson wrote:

Kevin Wang wrote:

You really want to leave service names the same. don't change them
gratuitously. It confuses users.

<snip, snippety snip>

So what's the best way to document these services? We've had suggestions
of man pages: what else, besides third party web sites, is reasonable?

It's not nearly as simple as you might think. For example, nfs
depends on 'portmap'. imho dependencies like this need to be
expressed somehow, but the existing infrastructure doesn't do that.

I'm glad we agree!

James.

As an ancient newbie, I'd like to add my pennyworth -

There must be a man page associated with each package name. There should to be a man page associated with each command name. Each man page associated with a package should identify all the commands in the package ("See Also"), and (my pet gripe for this week) it should identify all the files affected by the command ("Files"). I get annoyed at the way that the "hard bits" are being hidden from the tender eyes of the non-coder, a la Windows, especially with respect to the GUI interfaces. And what's with this new-fangled "info" stuff, anyway?
</rant> I feel better now..

Regards,
Peter Smith