Documentation of services

Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
> First off, run these from a  command line:
>
>    # service --status-all
>  and
>    # chkconfig --list
>
> This will give you a list of all the services and their status.
>
> IMO, We should not have to look at the scripts.  If you find something
> in the output of these two that does not have a man page post a
> question here.  (man -k something; apropos something).
>
> Those of us that know what the service is should answer and one of us
> should bugzilla a man page request.  With a little discussion we
> should be able to discover what it is that people need to know and
> some context to make the description and discussion in the new man
> page valuable to the new user.

This sounds a good idea, but...

 * I think we'd want to rename certain services rather than write new
   manpages. For example, there is no "alsa" manpage: what would you
   put there?

   The alsa service actually runs the alsactl program, which does have
   a suitable manpage. So why not rename the service alsactl?

 * Is this information best provided as man pages? The Fedora
   Documentation project has yet to publish any documents, but I
   honestly think that anyone who can decipher the average manpage can
   read comments in a script. Would it make more sense to have this
   published as a document somewhere? *That* can point to manpages if
   necessary.

Thoughts?

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "Reliability went through the floor, tunnelled its
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | way to the centre of the Earth, and perished in the