Re: up2date is still a nightmare

Peter Boy wrote:
up2date is still being quite unusable in some situations. Obviously it
is not able to cope with hight trafic and/or a slow response time.

- the mirror selection feature is a progress, compared to FC1, but it is
still quite dumb in selecting mirrors. It doesn't use one in vicinity.
especially useless for non US users

- the progress dialog "testing package set / solving RPM dependencies"
lacks of any user feedback if there is some problem with the connection.
It seems to hang forever.

Fortunately we have yum. up2date should become deprecated.

Peter

Up2date is great for installations of programs. Yum wins on ease of removing programs.

For times where you are testing development releases that deps may not resolve easily, up2date wins.

I think that both programs are welcome and each have features where one excels over the other.

I checked the processes during up2date program retrieval. Processes like hardlinking and ldconfig seem to happen when up2date processes are held at bay. It does seem to take longer when deps are being resolved or there are no resolutions to be determined by the rpm mix on the repository.

Choice is good and there is no reason to sub up2date or lower it's default installation status.

Jim

--
Preudhomme's Law of Window Cleaning:
	It's on the other side.