[Fwd: Re: Can't defrag win drive]

My apologies. I replied to tim but not the list
--
Micheal <sundance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
--- Begin Message ---
On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 16:51, Timothy Payne wrote:
> Micheal,
>
> This was posted for XP:
>
> There is a bug in Fedora Core 2 that causes the hard disk geometry as
> reported in the partition table to be altered during installation.  This
> change may cause Windows boot failure.  Although this bug is severe, it is
> recoverable and no data should be lost.  It is important not to panic if and
> when this happens so you do not cause further problems or cause actual loss
> of data in the process of recovering from the error.
>
> So the question was, is it in the grub file since I'm using two drives.
>
> Thank you

> On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 13:42, Micheal wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 15:08, Timothy Payne wrote:
> > > I have a second drive with windows, but can't de-fragment Norton
> > > complains and so dose the windows utility.  I can boot and use the drive
> > > with this in my grub.conf
> > >
> > > # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> > > #
> > > # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
> > > file
> > > # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> > > #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> > > #          root (hd0,0)
> > > #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
> > > #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> > > #boot=/dev/hda
> > > default=1
> > > timeout=10
> > > splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> > > title Fedora Core (2.6.7-1.494.2.2)
> > > 	root (hd0,0)
> > > 	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.7-1.494.2.2 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
> > > 	initrd /initrd-2.6.7-1.494.2.2.img
> > > title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358)
> > > 	root (hd0,0)
> > > 	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
> > > 	initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img
> > > title Win98
> > > 	map (hd0) (hd1)
> > > 	map (hd1) (hd0)
> > > 	rootnoverify (hd1,0)
> > > 	makeactive
> > > 	chainloader +1
> > >
> > > The default in FC2 did not work for Win98
> > >

> > Tim,
> >
> > Before I say anything I would like to point out that the focus on this
> > list is on Fedora Core Releases not Microsoft Windows. The problem you
> > are having is not related to the Fedora OS.  You may be better served on
> > this question by searching a Microsoft list archive.
> >
> > That being said, I would run a scandisk on the drive, since you are
> > apparently running win 98 which uses a fat partition. This should rule
> > out either partition table or hardware errors.
> >
> > Good Luck
> >
> > Micheal

Tim,

Sorry for the confusion.  I think the question you are asking can be
stated

"I am unable to defrag my Windows 98 drive. I read that the fedora
installer changes the geometry of the windows drive on install,
rendering it unable to boot. I did have to change my grub.conf file from
the default to get windows to boot. Could either the installer bug or my
changes to grub.conf cause this problem?"

If I still don't understand please feel free to correct me.

To answer the first part, the installer bug affects the drive geometry
of the windows drive if you install grub on that drive. Drives that are
affected this way cannot boot because windows has problems locating the
boot sector on the drive. ( This is my take, feel free to correct/flame
me if I am wrong)  More in-depth on this bug can be found here

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-May/msg00908.html

(Thanks to Lisa for including the link in the FAQ.)

Since you can boot the drive,  I dont think that bug applies in this
situation.

On the Grub.conf file changes,  This is a know hack to allow windows to
boot when it is the second drive.  Windows likes to be the first drive
the bios sees and likes to be the active partition, and if it is not bad
things happen.  The changes you made.

+map (hd0) (hd1)
+map (hd1) (hd0)
+makeactive

Fools windows into thinking that it is on the first drive and the active
partition.  It really makes no direct changes to the drive that windows
is installed on.

I hope this makes sense.

If I am right or wrong I would still run scandisk on the drive and at
least rule out any partition or drive errors.

HTH

Micheal