Re: Can't defrag win drive

On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 15:08, Timothy Payne wrote:
> I have a second drive with windows, but can't de-fragment Norton
> complains and so dose the windows utility.  I can boot and use the drive
> with this in my grub.conf
>
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
> file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #          root (hd0,0)
> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=1
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Fedora Core (2.6.7-1.494.2.2)
> 	root (hd0,0)
> 	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.7-1.494.2.2 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
> 	initrd /initrd-2.6.7-1.494.2.2.img
> title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358)
> 	root (hd0,0)
> 	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
> 	initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img
> title Win98
> 	map (hd0) (hd1)
> 	map (hd1) (hd0)
> 	rootnoverify (hd1,0)
> 	makeactive
> 	chainloader +1
>
> The default in FC2 did not work for Win98

Tim,

Before I say anything I would like to point out that the focus on this
list is on Fedora Core Releases not Microsoft Windows. The problem you
are having is not related to the Fedora OS.  You may be better served on
this question by searching a Microsoft list archive.

That being said, I would run a scandisk on the drive, since you are
apparently running win 98 which uses a fat partition. This should rule
out either partition table or hardware errors.

Good Luck

Micheal