RE: Inappropriate content in Fedora Core 2

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 07:53, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:

> > 4) Free speech does *not* protect you from the willful display of
> > inappropriate conduct in the workplace - by anyone's definition of
> > inappropriate.
>
> Conduct is not speech. But including perfectly normal words on speech
> is, no matter what people like or not. And it is protected everywhere in
> the USA, even while wearing a t-shirt reading: Fuck This Court while on
> trial.

<sigh...>
...Yet the willful display of inappropriate conduct (or content) *is*
speech, and the Court is an arm of the government. One could reasonably
expect 1st Amendment protection in your court case example. Even though
you didn't want to, you've succeeded in supporting my point. If you wore
that same shirt to a private establishment, the management could legally
have you thrown out if they wanted to. At the civil suit, you could wear
the shirt in question to Court again. The Court wouldn't necessarily
come after you, but it probably wouldn't help your case either. Fact is,
having been in Court several times recently (as the victim), I have
learned that they also *can* and often *do* restrict the kids of
clothing you can wear.

> > ===============================
> > "Our lives begin to end the day we
> > become silent about things that matter."
>
> hmms...
>
> > -- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

...And as a Black American with some distant ties in my family to Dr.
King, and a strong track record pushing for the kinds of positive change
he stood for, I bet I understand this quote much better than you do. So
don't try and twist the meaning to something it's not.

Getting back *on* topic here:
It sounds like FC3 is definitely addressing this issue in a meaningful
way. Breaking xscreensaver into multiple packages makes sense for a lot
of good reasons - both technical and business related. What would be
left is to document material that could reasonably be construed as not
appropriate for most workplaces. The user could then decide what they
wanted to do with it.

Even better, extra packages like Really Slick Screen Savers could be
more useful as add-ons.

Waiting with great anticipation for FC3T2 before I jump into that
fray...

Chris

--
When the solution is simple,