Re: FC2 and Serial ATA

On August 6, 2004 12:55 pm, netmask <netmask@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > 1.  What (if any) are the problems with serial ata drives in fc2
>
> Mainly a driver issue issue

Well the release version of FC2 broke something which prevented installing to
drives off a silicon image controller. This wasn't a driver issue and the
driver works fine. As it does in the vanilla kernel.

> > 2.  Will I get around these problems by just using them for storage and
> > not for booting or running programs?
>
> yes, as long as you still at least compile the driver (or the driver
> already exists).. at least this way you don't have to deal with possibly
> the need to of an initrd, or any weird errors at that point.. You can
> always load the driver later in the kernel boot process and then mount the
> drives..

He should have to compile the drivers for most SATA controllers. They come
with FC2. Now if you had used FC2, you might have know this. See your other
post.

> Your biggest problem would be what was just discussed I think, that the
> developers seem to be flip flopping on whether to call these devices HD? or
> SD?.. which makes a difference.. unless you use labels maybe, i'm not sure.

The switch was due to a switch from a separate drivers for each SATA
controller to a combined Libata structure. libata treats some controllers as
straight ide and some as scsi.

> I'm also not sure how much they've flip flopped.. I've only heard reports
> that it was sd? then hd? then sd? again..  For all I know, it only flipped
> once... or maybe it flipped 200 times.

So you are providing advice based on hearsay and rumor. That really helps him.
Again if you had first hand experience with FC2, you would have been much
better at answering these questions.

> > 3.  What is the likelihood of these problems being fixed in fc3?
>
> unlikely IMO, but I'm not really sure.. its mostly a kernel thing, so it's
> a little out of fedoras control

They have been fixed. As I said the installing to Silicon Image controller FC2
got broken just before release. It had worked before that.

--
Mark Lane, CET mailto:mark@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Hard Data Ltd. http://www.harddata.com