Re: Using 2.4 Kernel instead of 2.6

James Wilkinson wrote:
Jim Cornette wrote:

You have the change /dev/input/mice to /dev/psaux in order for the mouse to work in the xorg.conf file.

It works for me with an upgraded FC1 to FC2 system. Also, you need to change it back when you want to switch back to a 2.6 kernel.

JIm

This depends on the sort of mouse you use. That's correct for PS/2, but IIRC, you have to specify the appropriate serial port for serial mice, and I believe /dev/input/mice worked for USB mice. (But it's been a while since I ran 2.4 on a system with a mouse...)

James.

I have all systems w/ ps2 mice. The synaptics touchpad is recognized as a ps2 mouse also.

You are right! It is system dependent.

The best answer would probably be to compare what your settings were on a 2.4 based distribution and use the same setting for xorg.conf in the 2.6 kernel based distribution.

I guess some systems still use serial mice also. - :-)

Thanks! Jim

--
If it happens once, it's a bug.
If it happens twice, it's a feature.