Re: cdrecord performance

fredex wrote:
<SNIP>
Have you looked to see if your hard drives and CD burner have DMA
enabled? If not it MIGHT account for this sort of problem. Perhaps.

Fred

Yes, my hard drive according to hdparm -Tt /dev/hda:

jim@keelie $ sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   1524 MB in  2.00 seconds = 760.22 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  170 MB in  3.03 seconds =  56.15 MB/sec

My DVDRW drive is set to UDMA 2 according to hdparm -i /dev/hdc and shows this for hdparm -Tt /dev/hdc

jim@keelie $ sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   1552 MB in  2.00 seconds = 774.96 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:    8 MB in  3.34 seconds =   2.40 MB/sec

Does 2.4 MB/sec sound right for a DVDRW drive?

Running hdparm /dev/hdc showed this output:

jim@keelie $ sudo hdparm /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Invalid argument
 IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  0 (off)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    = 256 (on)
 HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument

So I turned on 32 bit support and DMA with: sudo hdparm -c 1 -d 1 /dev/hdc

But running hdparm -Tt /dev/hdc agian show the same numbers:

jim@keelie $ sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   1536 MB in  2.00 seconds = 766.20 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:    8 MB in  3.19 seconds =   2.51 MB/sec

What do you get if you put a CD in your CD or DVD drive and run hdparm -Tt /dev/hdX?

One other note:

I am using the Desktop Kernel for Fedora Core 2 from here:
http://gdj.sourceforge.net/

I also have my cdrom drive mounted with Supermount-ng.

Holy crap BatMan! I just disabled Supermount-ng and tried a burn of an 181 MB audio file and the system is running fine!

Before with my DVDROM controlled by Supermount-ng, the max burning speed I would get is around 12X while the DVDRW is rated at 40X for normal CDR. Without Supermount-ng, the speed went up into the 30X+ and I had normal system response and no jerky mouse.

So I guessed I answered my own question.  Thanks for the prodding.
It is a shame since I really liked Supermount-ng, much more then automount.

Jim Drabb
--
James Drabb
Senior Programmer