Re: cdrecord performance

James Drabb wrote:
Hey group,

I am runing FC2 with kernel 2.6.7-1. My system is an Athlon 2800+, 512MB 400MHz DDR and an ATA 133 drive. When I try to burn an audio file with cdrecord, the system becomes very unresponsive while the disk is being burnt. top show only about 2% CPU usage, yet the mouse is very jerky and doing any tasks during the burn are very, very slow (normally the system is very fast).
<snip>

No one has any experience with something like this? Does anyone else have a similar issue? My mobo is an NForce2 based MSI K7N2.

Does anyone have an suggestions on how I might go about trying to see what is causing the problems? Could it be the drivers for the mobo? I do notice that the reverse engineered forcedeth driver for the NVidia nic has some issues. For example, sometimes when I boot (espcially a cold boot), I cannot get to the net from my cable modem, nothing I try has seemed to work. However, if I reboot in to WinXP and the reboot right into FC2, the forcedeth driver works like a champ.

Should I look into newer versions of these drivers?  Maybe CVS versions?

Thanks for any help on this,

Jim Drabb
Senior Programmer
Davenport, FL USA