Re: ATI 8500 3D -- Solved!

Peter Hutnick wrote:

If I disable DRI in the config file, and load the fglrx module, X works fine. [. . .]

I took my PC apart last night to see if I could get any helpful info off the video card (i.e. manufacturer or something). (And to vacuum it out. Blech.) No dice.

I'd been toying with the idea of fiddling with the BIOS settings to see if it had any effect. I chose the "set to failsafe defaults" option and rebooted. Same black screen. I rebooted and did "set to optimal defaults" and then fiddled some settings back to where I wanted them.

X came up.

I ran glxgears. They were spinning like little madmen. >1k frames. Bingo. It kept working after another reboot.

For what it is worth it is a 1.3 GHz celeron (Tualatin) on an MSI mb with some VIA chipset. I know that AGP does some freaky stuff with memory, so it might be relevant that it is a 1GB system. If anyone wants any more specifics (i.e. you are reading this in the archives . . .) email me and I'll get you the info.

Vega Strike turns out to be a disappointment. Armagetron is pretty cool, though!

Thanks for all the help, guys!

-Peter