Re: ATI 8500 3D

Peter Hutnick wrote:

One thing at a time.

Okay, here's where I am.

If I load the fglrx module the Xorg.0.log indicates that everything is good. (I forgot to copy it to my portable media last night. I don't have Internet access at home.) But the screen is totally black.

If radeon.ko is loaded fglrx.ko won't load. If radeon.ko is loaded I get usable X, but the following in my Xorg.0.log:

  (II) fglrx(0): doing DRIScreenInit
  drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
  drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
  drmOpenDevice: open result is 7, (OK)
  drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
  drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
  drmOpenDevice: open result is 7, (OK)
  drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
  drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
  drmOpenDevice: open result is 7, (OK)
  drmOpenDevice: minor is 1
  drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card1
  drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
  drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
  drmOpenDevice: Open failed
[** repeated for /card2-/card14 **]
  (II) fglrx(0): [drm] drmOpen failed
  (EE) fglrx(0): DRIScreenInit failed!
  (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed!                  *
  (WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
  (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton [sic] available (MMIO)             *
  (WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available                *

There seems to be a spelling error int he message. I think that's ATI's message. So much for commercial==high quality :-(

Some stuff I found on google indicates that the fact that I have 1024mb of RAM may be the problem. I'm going to play around with passing mem= to the kernel to see if it helps.

Since I'm going to go all weekend without Internet access, does anyone have any other suggestions I can play around with?

-Peter