Re: drive partition on install

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 05:42:48PM -0400, John Dangler wrote:
> On Behalf Of Sam Tregar
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, John Dangler wrote:
>
> >> I'm installing FC2 using the 'workstation' installation on a notebook
> with a
> >> 40gb disc, 512mb ram.
> >> Is there a 'recommended' layout for partitioning the drive?
>
> >I'm not an official source, but I'd lay it out like this:
>
> >  /boot  100MB
> >  swap   1024MB
> >  /      everything else
>
> >The /boot partition is useful to work around problems some BIOS have
> >with booting a kernel that's too far into the disk (past 8GB, if
> >memory serves).  1GB of swap is generally right for 512MB of memory.

For swap remember that swap files are possible.  1GB of swap is a lot
of IO and the system will be a dog if it realy uses it.  The 2X DRAM
rule lets multiple processes do fork()-->exec() sequences.  It does
not consider performance.

The rule in the future may be DRAM + 15 seconds of IO to disk.

> >Then I just partition the rest as one big / partition.  I've found
> >that setting up separate /tmp, /usr, /home and /var partitions is just
> >more trouble than it's worth since you'll inevitably guess wrong about
> >the proper size of each.

One consideration is upgrades and system reload and changes.  If /home is
an isolated partion that contains user data then updates are easier.
Same for /var/www and other 'project' locations.

For a 40 GB disk I would go for /boot swap and / and study
the resulting space use.

  /boot   400MB (four or five kernel updates -- recall that
		local built kernels may not be stripped and
		are commonly larger than distribution kernels
		if you do not strip them).

  swap	  for DRAM up to 128MB  4xDRAM.
  	  for DRAM up to 256MB  3xDRAM.
  	  for DRAM up to 512MB  2xDRAM.
	  for DRAM beyond 512MB 1xDRAM + MB_so_sum_takes_20seconds
	      i.e.
	      # time sum  rdd
	      63035 615591
	      real    0m20.126s
	      # ls -l
	      -rw-r--r--  1 root root 630364938 Jul 24 22:53 rdd
	      ## if your CPU, memory and disk are faster then swap
	      ## might be larger.  Do not forget swap files can
	      ## be added later if you need more.

   /	  enough to hold the distribution + tmp files...

It is good but not necessary to have...

   /home (and other local data, isolate personal additions that you
      cannot install with up2date or yum; /home/you /home/yourwww etc.
      Isolating local content makes backups and updates less of a pain.)

A smallish disk (40GB) should not be over partitioned.

An external USB disk will make backups a snap.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	/dev/dull where insight begins.