Re: drive partition on install

Am Do, den 22.07.2004 schrieb John Dangler um 23:15:
> I'm installing FC2 using the 'workstation' installation on a notebook with a
> 40gb disc, 512mb ram.
> Is there a 'recommended' layout for partitioning the drive?
> I plan to use the box for development (httpd,php,xml, etc.)

The 'recommended' layout will vary depending on the personal taste and
experiences of the person you are asking  :-)

In general it is a good idea for a Linux box not to do a fine grained
splitting of the disk space in order to avoid problems with space on a
specific partition.

In general it is a good idea, too, to have a separate partition for
/home which makes an update of the system a lot easier and less painful.

In order to avoid the hassle of a wrong guess of the needed space for a
file system you should consider to use LVM for most of the disk space.
It is very easy to adjust disk space in a LVM volume.

I've choosen a layout of my 40 mb disk as follows (after a lot of
experiments):

hda1  70mb   /boot
hda2   1gb   swap (I intend to upgrade my memory)
hda3   6gb   for testing and various purposes, you may omit this
hda4  33gb   LVM volume vol00

In vol00

/fc2     6 gb  for the main system
/home   15 gb
/test    6 gb  for testing purpose
rest is unallocated

in hda3 I can install Fedora test releases or other Linux distributions
completely separated from my working system (booting via grub
chainloader). So I can test things without the risk of harm for my
valuable data.

6 gb are sufficient for a fedora system in most cases. If a need more, I
can easily expand the root file system by allocating part of the
unallocated space. It's very easy with LVM.

/test I can use to try other distros or I rename it e.g. to fc3 (when it
is released) and install the new release, check if everything works,
fine tune the installation and switch to the new release smoothly (and
without risk to the data in (/home)  /fc2 would become to the new /test
in this case.

Peter