RE: drive partition on install

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Sam Tregar
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 5:29 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: drive partition on install

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, John Dangler wrote:

>> I'm installing FC2 using the 'workstation' installation on a notebook
with a
>> 40gb disc, 512mb ram.
>> Is there a 'recommended' layout for partitioning the drive?

>I'm not an official source, but I'd lay it out like this:

>  /boot  100MB
>  swap   1024MB
>  /      everything else

>The /boot partition is useful to work around problems some BIOS have
>with booting a kernel that's too far into the disk (past 8GB, if
>memory serves).  1GB of swap is generally right for 512MB of memory.
>Then I just partition the rest as one big / partition.  I've found
>that setting up separate /tmp, /usr, /home and /var partitions is just
>more trouble than it's worth since you'll inevitably guess wrong about
>the proper size of each.

-sam

Sam~
Thanks for the reply.  The 'default' looks like
/dev/hda1 /boot	102
/dev/hda2 /		37033
/dev/hda3 (swap)	1024

I was thinking of setting up separate /tmp, /home, /var, /mnt, and /usr in
addition to these, but, not knowing exactly how much space I'd need for each
one at this point...
/home will only ever have one user - me - on it),
I could guesstimate that /tmp could use no more than 10% - approx 3gb - ever
The rest I can't really take a stab at, since /usr will have both src and
local/src's for srpms (I'm going to take a shot at building a repository of
my installed 'additions')
and I'm not really sure of the rest, so having all except swap and boot in
one large part may be the best way to do it.