Re: Gnome to KDE - switchdesk broken?

Charles Heselton wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 15:47:34 -0500, Bob Hartung <rwhart@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,
I just did an install of FC2 without problems.  Now in setting up
desktop, although I run 'switchdesk KDE' I still have the gnome desktop,
icons, etc.
A review of .Xclients-default refers to a variable WMPATH that is
exported.  However when I do a 'echo $WMPATH there is only a blank
return.  This suggests that .Xclients-default is not being
read/executed.  Where should I start to look?

TIA,

Bob

If you look at the .Xclients-default script, the $WMPATH variable is
never exported.  So, if you echo it to see the contents at the command
line, it'll be blank.  "switchdesk KDE" worked for me.  Make sure your
.Xclients-default file looks like this and you should be OK:

#! /bin/bash # Created by Red Hat Desktop Switcher

WMPATH="/usr/bin /opt/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/X11R6/bin"

for wm in $WMPATH ; do
        [ -x $wm/startkde ] && exec $wm/startkde
done

exit 1

Charles,
I did figure out that $WMPATH isn't exported. I now have a funny mix of gnome and kde icons on the panel and no kde control center in the menu but most of the k* programs in the menu.
Is there a place to check and see exactly what desktop started up?

Tnx,

Bob