Gnome to KDE - switchdesk broken?

Hi all,
I just did an install of FC2 without problems. Now in setting up desktop, although I run 'switchdesk KDE' I still have the gnome desktop, icons, etc.
A review of .Xclients-default refers to a variable WMPATH that is exported. However when I do a 'echo $WMPATH there is only a blank return. This suggests that .Xclients-default is not being read/executed. Where should I start to look?

 TIA,

Bob