Re: Receiving Mail to ROOT User

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

You will need to forward root's mail to a normal user account by using
the aliases file. /etc/aliases already contains a line, which is
actually commented. Modify it to let root's mail go to your username.
Then run "newaliases" command to make changes active - given that you
use Sendmail.

Then you'll have to run an IMAP/POP3 server to access your mail through
a GUI client. Install dovecot if that is not already installed. The POP3
service should then work out of the box.

Alexander

P.S. You had never (not with RH9 nor with prior releases) the ability to
access the root account for checking his mail using a GUI client. IMAP
and POP3 access to the root account is strictly prohibited because of
severe security reasons.

Thanks for your responses. I'll try installing one of the mentioned POP3 servers, but it was the mention of /etc/aliases that provided the key piece. When reminded of it, I did remember having done that before. I SAID my memory was increasingly dusty.
Cheers,
Gordon