Receiving Mail to ROOT User

With earlier (i.e. Redhat 9 and prior) releases I was able to process root's mail in the Netscape/Mozilla client, setting the server address to localhost. Since upgrading to Fedora Core 1 and now 2, that doesn't seem to be working any more. The client is continuously "Connecting to localhost". I don't recall having to start any kind of mail server before, but it has been a while and my memory is increasingly dusty. Can anyone tell me how to get root's mail without actually logging in to the root ID and using "mail"?
Thanks,
Gordon Keehn