Re: Email Signatures

On 07/20/2004 10:27 AM, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Am Di, den 20.07.2004 schrieb ne... um 16:14:

I've just got a bounce with the following subject.

Subject: Symantec Mail Security detected that
you sent a message containing a
suspicious attachment.
(SYM:02629890341371604646)

I suspect that this is a virus that was sent from someone
who had your e-mail address in their addressbook. That's
the in thing these for viruses and worms...

N.Emile...

That is quite right. I too get such bounces from time to time. I remember this crap Symantec Mail Security shit - silently hope it could be configured to not bounce to innocent victims of sender faking worms. There are still a lot of systems around in the world where the responsible administrators left to see that nowadays bouncing incoming mail they discover as having virus/worm freight shouldn't be bounced. Reject the mail with a valid DSN during DATA phase but not later after acceptance and then bouncing to who seems to be the sender.

Alexander

Simple solution: just don't bounce virus-infected messages. They're ALL using forged headers. Delete them and forget about it.

This drives me crazy--we are so careful and clean when it comes to antivirus--we never get infected (knock on wood)--but every day I have a user panic over one of these bogus bounces. I spend as much time explaining these confusing messages as I spend preventing virus/worm infection. What absolutely enrages me is when they also contain an advertisement and a link the AV company.