Re: SCSI disk names change when adding / removing devices.

On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 21:56, Naoki wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>     I have a problem, when I install my OS ( FC2 ) on my nice machine
> with an internal scsi controller my two disks are sda and sdb, which is
> all nice and expected.  But then when I add a new scsi card and hook up
> the external disk array the new array now becomes sda which has a very
> negative effect, can't boot..
>
> Any helpful hints?  I could label the disks sure but then swap is still
> on sda2 and that's a problem.
>
> -n.

BTW,  For your planning for future use of scsi..  AFAICT, scsi devices
are named in the order seen.  It is thus necessary to know which adapter
will be seen first, as well as the scsi ID of the drives.

On the bus of a single adapter, drives are named in ID sequence.  If you
have a drive with id 5 and another with id 9, the first will be sda and
the second will be sdb.  If you add one at id 8, it becomes sdb and the
one at id 9 is now sdc.  If you then add one at id 0, all the ones with
higher ids are bumped to different names.

Thus for simplicity you should fill the scsi ids starting at 0 and going
sequentially so you do not have unexpected problems of this sort.

Then you also have to know which pci slots are probed first so you do
not have the problems you just saw.

It is easy once understood, but can be puzzling for the uninitiated.