Re: where to put apache in startup order

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 16:16, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 10:41, Henry Leparskas wrote:
> > Thanks for the great suggestions.
> > This 'chkconfig' is a nice feature. I see that it makes the symbolic link
> > very nicely. It uses S85. Okay. Fair enough.
> >
> > I still wonder why making the link manually doesn't work.

> > > Originally, my link to the startup script was numbered
> > > /etc/rc2.d/S90apache.
> > > I tried as low as S78apache.
> > >
> > > With either of these numbers, the daemon won't start on its own.
> > >
> > > It starts just fine manually at a later time with a;
> > >
> > > 		' /etc/rc2.d/S78apache start'
> > >
> > > I wonder why it's not starting. On my other systems, including solaris,
> > > the S78 spot seems just fine.
> > >
> > > Details:

Not sure if this is part of the issue you are having or not.  I seem to
recall wrestling with an issue a year or two ago regarding startup
scripts.  Believe I was setting up a start script for Big Brother.  I
found at that time that I needed to name the startup script the same as
the process that was running.  In your case apache's process is named
httpd.  I believe you will find the rpm packages also specify the
startup script as httpd in the init.d directory.

In your message you are using apache for the name.

Also if you look in one of the existing startup scripts there are some
lines at the beginning of the script that works with chkconfig to setup
the links for you.  The important line being a comment similar to:

#  chkconfig 2345 80 30

The first set of numbers I believe list the run levels the script should
start the service, the next number is the start order  (S80) and the
last number is the kill order (K30).

As to the actual start order just make sure you have all the services
needed by the service want to start going before your service starts.

The rpm packages start apache with S85 and kill it with K15 for their
ordering.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive.
		-- Shakespeare