Re: Can't install kernel 2.6.5-1.435.2.3

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 02:22, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 12:33:28AM +0200, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> >
> > I have tried to install subject kernel on FC2 using up2date. It
> > apparently seems to install successfully because no error message or
> > warning has been issued, but when you boot there is no mention of this
> > kernel.
> >
> > grub.conf has NOT been updated and the corresponding
> > initrd-2.6.5-1.435.2.3.img is missing.
> >
> > The only modification to the boot process has been a change to the
> > timeout value (for selecting kernel at boot) to 0 (zero).
> >
> > Is this a known bug?
>
> In /boot/grub/grub.conf make sure that the line for
> default specifies the new kernel.  Counting begins with '0'.
>
>    default=0
>
> Setting the timeout to 0 is likely making the ability to see that
> there is a newer unselected kernel 'invisible'.  Set it to a short non
> zero time.
>
>    timeout=10
>
> yum updates apparently to switch to the latest, up2date on FC2 keeps
> the last one active.

Read above. grub.conf was not changed by up2date. So even changing
timeout back to 10 doesn't give me any mean to select the new kernel. I
can't even do the change to grub.conf manually because
initrd-2.6.5-1.435.2.3.img is missing.

However the old kernel works perfectly so the damage is manageable.

Regards,
--
Erik P. Olsen