Re: New nVidia vs FC2 and rivafb (CON'T)

This is an updated version of what I have in a thread already with the
nvidia group. I have inserted below portions as they may reply to your
last.

On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 09:42, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> ... suggests that basic functionality is similar between the regular
> and mobile versions of the 5200 series.

The nv (generic) works fine, nvidia driver gives me a splash screen of
garbage. X comes up ok after, but the pointer is a square of video
garbage. Have edited xorg.conf with HWCursor = "off" and SWCursor = "on"
and other lines to adjust pointer/cursor shadow. With SWCusor "on" I get
a pointer, but only when the pointer sits on the outside edge of an open
window. Ever try to use a GUI with an invisible pointer; rather
difficult.

Basic functionality (using the nv devise in xorg.conf) would be fine,
but it is my intension to use this 4 processor Beowulf to do some 3D
work. Because of this I need to use the 3D ability of the cards so as to
get as much speed out of this old hardware setup as I can.

> I am using the stock FC2 kernel (2.6.6-1.435.2.3) without any
> recompiling and do not have any problems. As mentioned, I did get the
> rivafb warning during the building of the nVidia driver.

Now have the latest FC2 kernel-2.6.6-1.435-2.3 from Fedora. Installed
nVidia 6106 after update. No errors other than notice about the rivafb
conflict. Edited xorg.conf to change nv to nvidia and rem out the dri
line.

> It is certainly possible that there are video BIOS or other supporting
> chip differences between what I have and your card which may account for
> the problems that you are having. Of course, it is also conceivable that
> there is a bug in the new nVidia driver.
>
> I think that at this point, you may be best served by posting over at
> the nVidia Linux forums, where there are nVidia tech folks and users who
> participate and may have more technical insights into the issues that
> you are having. They may be able to suggest a possible resolution or
> confirm that there is a bug or compatibility issue in the driver.

I have twin machines running as (or will be) a Beowulf cluster:
Dual PII 266MHz
DTK MB
256mb RAM
Apollo Bloody Monster GeForce FX 5200 128mb DDR Video
SB Live! v5.1

node1 has 3 NIC (1 LinkSys LNE100TX and 2 D-Link 530TX)
node2 has 2 NIC (2 LinkSys LNE100TX)

eth0 and eth1 on both machines are bonding through bond0 to eachother on
network 192.168.2.0. node1 has access to network 192.168.1.0 through
eth2.

Anyone have any ideas before I trash all this and hope for something
better under FreeBSD? There are also 2 iMacs on our network running Mac
OS X whish is FreeBSD/Darwin based.

Figure I need to recompile a new kernel without the rivafb module, but
have not been able to find a "How To" or step-by-step. Have not compiled
a Linux kernel and just don't want to muck things up.

--
Thanks for your support,

GregS <><
gswallow@xxxxxxxxxx