Re: help: DHCP & cable-modem

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 13:00, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Friday 02 July 2004 02:23 pm, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 08:11, Jon Shorie wrote:
> > > I have a simple solution, and this is what I did at home.  I purchased a
> > > d-link hardware router with firewall.  It only costs between $20 and $40
> > >
> [snip]
> > >
> > > The biggest benefit of something like this is that it increases your
> > > machine's security by providing an additional layer between you and the
> > > internet.
> >
> > Frankly I don't believe that. Although it removes the idiot factor (of
> > Duh.. factor as Homer puts it)
> >
> Actually, I've used GRC.ORG's "Shields Up!" website to scan my system and it
> pretty much didn't find a thing. So, I feel pretty confident that my machine
> isn't going to get compromised from outside, and as I'm pretty much the ONLY
> user on that machine, I'm pretty sure it's not going to get compromised from
> the INSIDE either. :-)

Hmm.. you're not the original poster of this thread. but anyway, what
are you trying to tell me? The router/firewall is better? I use same grc
service too, and I'm doing fine.

This is my laptop I'm talking about actually.

	I-Net

	eth1

    shorewall

      laptop

NAT + port forwarding + dhcp

     eth0

   switch/Hub

Rest of network

As I mentioned, they're basically the same architecture. between a
off-the-shelf and your *nix machine.

Difference, IMHO between the off-the-shelf and your *nix box? $$,
idiot-factor, configuration etc.

Don't forget that some of the off-the-shelf stuff yu buy are really
running some kind of embedded *nix OS.

(eg: linksys wrtg54 router/access point)

Whatever you choose, it's up to you and how much $$ or time you want to
spend. And I'm in no position to argue whether this is better than the
other.

Oh.. BTW, with your off-the-shelf ones, unless you're paying a lot, some
of the advanced features, you don't get TrafficShaping/QoS like I do
with Linux/Shorewall.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel