Re: help: DHCP & cable-modem

On Friday 02 July 2004 02:23 pm, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 08:11, Jon Shorie wrote:
> > I have a simple solution, and this is what I did at home.  I purchased a
> > d-link hardware router with firewall.  It only costs between $20 and $40

[snip]

> > You then connect up your pc to the router and then the router to the
> > cable modem.  Make sure that the modem is powered off when you do this.
> >
> > When you bring everything up, the pc will get its internet connection
> > from the router and it just works.
> >
> > In fact, this router permits up to 4 pc's to share the connection (or
> > more with an uplink cable) as well as providing a local dhcp service to
> > your network.  Finally, you can set it up to provide you with network
> > address translation so that your local machines are on a non-routable
> > subnet.
> >
> > The biggest benefit of something like this is that it increases your
> > machine's security by providing an additional layer between you and the
> > internet.
>
> Frankly I don't believe that. Although it removes the idiot factor (of
> Duh.. factor as Homer puts it)

Actually, I've used GRC.ORG's "Shields Up!" website to scan my system and it
pretty much didn't find a thing. So, I feel pretty confident that my machine
isn't going to get compromised from outside, and as I'm pretty much the ONLY
user on that machine, I'm pretty sure it's not going to get compromised from
the INSIDE either. :-)