Re: ssh help, I want user to be able to access only specified folders

T. Nifty Hat Mitchell wrote:

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 12:49:57PM -0500, Jonathan S wrote:

I am new to Fedora, and Linux in general, I want users to be able to log in to my computer via ssh, with FC-1 but I want to be able to specify rules for each so they can only access specified folders is this possable? If so how would i go about doing this?

This is almost easy if you understand unix/Linux style permissions, ownership and groups. See the man pages for chmod, chown, chgrp, umask.

You need to outline what you intend when you use the word access.
There are read, write, and execute bits for access; three for each:
user, group, others.  Depending on the object these might have
slightly different meaning.

It is important to note that by default most tools are available to
all users and the interesting restrictions apply to individual home
dirs and new dirs that you might make.  Almost no one uses chroot home
or restricted shell logins.  They are just too hard get right and
maintain.

If you could be more clear about the policy you have in mind perhaps
we could be more helpful.  The options are just too vast.  Stick with
simple stuff.  There are some 267933+ files in 1344+ packages that
have default locations and permissions and the system works.  It is
easy to break a system if you get too bold without understanding the
basics.  Build a plan and stay focused....

Also is there a difference between fedora-list and fedora-devel list,

There is a big difference. This type of question belongs here.

I guess what I want is for a user on a remote computer to not be able to even see any files then those maybe in his home folder, or somewhere else i specify, I haven't really got to reading about chroot yet, but it looked like the solution i needed just by reading a couple of intros. to it. If there is a simpler solution though, please enlighten me I would be much appreciative.