Re: Bulilding Kernel-2.4.22-1.2194.nptl error

On Jul 2, 2004 at 16:13, Parameshwara Bhat in a soothing rage wrote:

>Hello friends,
>
>I wanted to build kernel - for fun,for learning basically - and installed
>kernel source-2.4.22-1.2194.nptl from freshrpms site through sybnaptic. In
>my attempt to build it, I faced two problems.
>
>1. As explained in KERNEL-HOW TO, if I " make mrproper " first step, I
>can't ' make dep ' after configuration.Appears /include/linux/autoconf.h
>gets deleted and 'make' complains about no rule to build.
>
>2. I could overcome above problem by skipping the step. I carefully
>configured the kernel. This is not my first attempt at it and I understand
>it a bit. 'make dep ' ' make clean ' went smoothly. At the stage of ' make
>bzImage ' I invariably see lot of ' undefined reference to xxxx ' errors.
>
>May be, I made some choices logically inconsistent, not carried
>throughout.Or could there be something else which went wrong ? I have
>installed kernel alone as synaptic report all dependencies met.
You need to read the kernel compiling HOWTO so that you know the steps
to take and it what order. You also need to understand what each step
does. 'make mrproper' cleans out _all_ your configuration that you
make in the build tree. So after running that step, you need to
configure the kernel build. Then do a 'make dep clean bzImage
modules'.

N.Emile...
DeVries' Dilemma:
	If you hit two keys on the typewriter, the one you don't want
	hits the paper.
 08:39:24  up 4 days,  1:54,  4 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.02, 0.00