Bulilding Kernel-2.4.22-1.2194.nptl error

Hello friends,

I wanted to build kernel - for fun,for learning basically - and installed kernel source-2.4.22-1.2194.nptl from freshrpms site through sybnaptic. In my attempt to build it, I faced two problems.

1. As explained in KERNEL-HOW TO, if I " make mrproper " first step, I can't ' make dep ' after configuration.Appears /include/linux/autoconf.h gets deleted and 'make' complains about no rule to build.

2. I could overcome above problem by skipping the step. I carefully configured the kernel. This is not my first attempt at it and I understand it a bit. 'make dep ' ' make clean ' went smoothly. At the stage of ' make bzImage ' I invariably see lot of ' undefined reference to xxxx ' errors.

May be, I made some choices logically inconsistent, not carried throughout.Or could there be something else which went wrong ? I have installed kernel alone as synaptic report all dependencies met.

Parameshwara Bhat