Re: fc2 is single user?!

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 02:21:16PM -0400, Jeff Ratliff wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 10:09:48AM -0400, Sam Steingold wrote:
> > it appears that fc2 is now single-user.
> >
> > we used to use the fc1 computer like this:
> > my wife and I each log in on one's own virtual console and start X with
> > "startx".  each has one's own X window session, and we can switch
> > between them with C-M-f7 and C-M-f8 (obviously, we take turns using the
> > monitor/keyboard, but we do not need to logout to let the other use the
> > computer).  I had to do some tricks to enable both of us to use
> > audio/video &c: I created a group "sound", added both of us to it, and
> > did "chgrp sound, chmod g+rw" for the audio devices. This worked OK
> > (although each upgrade and reboot reset ownership and permissions).
> >
> > Now, only the person who was the first to log in can start X!
> > the other one gets the splash screen (which says FC2) but no icons ever
> > appear on it, it just hangs there.
> >
> > So, where are these ownerships and permissions set so that I can make
> > my box multi-user again?
> >
> I'm not sure how it ever worked in FC1, but my systems default to
> letting me only start 1 X session. Try having the second user do
> startx -- :1. This will tell xinit to start a second X server.
>
> Try man startx and man xinit to get more details on why this works.

On some computers I get some weird results too when running startx from
a text console: X appears, but the keyboard is all mixed up. I never
really bothered to find the cause because there is a nicer alternative
which works just fine for me: gdmflexiserver.
This locks the current X session and displays a gdm login window on the
next available virtual console.

On a related note: gdmflexiserver is somewhat undocumented and hidden:
no menu entry, no man page. One thing I would like to find out is if
gdmflexiserver can start an X session in anything other than the default
visual, since I have a few old applications which run best in 8-bit
color (since they try to manipulate the colormap direcly).
Any pointers?

David Jansen