Re: fc2 is single user?!

> * Jeff Ratliff <wrseng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2004-06-30 14:21:16 -0400]:
>
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 10:09:48AM -0400, Sam Steingold wrote:
>> it appears that fc2 is now single-user.
>>
>> we used to use the fc1 computer like this:
>> my wife and I each log in on one's own virtual console and start X with
>> "startx".  each has one's own X window session, and we can switch
>> between them with C-M-f7 and C-M-f8 (obviously, we take turns using the
>> monitor/keyboard, but we do not need to logout to let the other use the
>> computer).  I had to do some tricks to enable both of us to use
>> audio/video &c: I created a group "sound", added both of us to it, and
>> did "chgrp sound, chmod g+rw" for the audio devices. This worked OK
>> (although each upgrade and reboot reset ownership and permissions).
>>
>> Now, only the person who was the first to log in can start X!
>> the other one gets the splash screen (which says FC2) but no icons ever
>> appear on it, it just hangs there.
>>
>> So, where are these ownerships and permissions set so that I can make
>> my box multi-user again?
>
> I'm not sure how it ever worked in FC1, but my systems default to
> letting me only start 1 X session. Try having the second user do
> startx -- :1. This will tell xinit to start a second X server.

this does not help (yes, we did use "-- :1" before).
if user 1 is the first to log in (on a console), and starts X, then,
even after he _exists_ X, user 2 cannot start X at all.

the questions remain:

1. what permissions do I need to tweak ?

2. where are they set to these insane values?

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
If You Want Breakfast In Bed, Sleep In the Kitchen.