Re: Re: k3b relocation error in Fedora 1.

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 15:54 +0530, Parameshwara Bhat wrote:
> Hi Michael,

Not Michael, but will through in my $0.02 anyway... ;^)

> Thank you. You rightly guessed the source as fedora2. I presumed as
> Synaptic/apt handle all dependencies, it would 'intelligently' handle
> these inner requirements of a package.

Not across major OS rev levels, particularly with different kernel
series and glibc.

> I downloaded k3b fedora1 version from http://download.fedora.us , also put
> it on synaptic sources.list. Now k3b is working great.
>
> I am thinking I can upgrade FC1 in parts I want most from latest in FC2.
> By the example, it looks not possible.

Not recommended without rebuilding from source.

> Now I have downloaded FC2 kernel
> source-2.4.22-1.2194.

Thats an FC1 kernel and not the latest.

> I wanted to build it part for fun, partly because my
> existing kernel source is somewhere a bit broken.(2.4.22-1.2115.nptl).

Might want to try a later pre-built one for FC1, or later sources, say
from

  http://atrpms.net/dist/fc1/kernel/

> My system is working fine. Do you think I can safely go ahead ?

Depends on what other FC2 packages you may have loaded on FC1.  If you
really want 2.6 kernels/packages just jump into FC2.

Phil