scsi (driver sg) error fix requires a reboot

Greetings;

I'm running fedora FC1, but with the most recent 2.6.7-rc3-mm2 kernel,
however this doesn't seem to be particularly kernel version
sensitive.  I first noted this maybe 3 or 4 years ago, and its bit me
maybe 3 or 4 times since.

If I use mtx (version in this instant case is 1.2.18rel) to manipulate
my tape changer, and there is an error in loading the tape (which it
actually did just fine by the way), the only apparent recovery seems
to be a reboot as /dev/sg1 is no longer functioning for the amanda
required usages after the error.

Is this a known bug, or something rather obscure?

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.  Soap, ballot,