kernel: unregister_netdevice: waiting for ppp0 to become free. Usage count = 1

Hello all,
 I keep having a problem with ppp, I use a ppp dial up connection to connect
to the internet,
futhermore i use mldonkey to transfer files on the ed2k network.
I turns out that when the connection is dropped for various reasons I  guess
(once a week of once per
few days). the fllowing messages appears in the messageslog:

kernel: unregister_netdevice: waiting for ppp0 to become free. Usage count =
1

I am not able to restart my network or to kill the ppp connection (which is
not functioning anymore)
untill I kill mldonkey, after the killing of the process. The device
unregisters and the connection resumes.

Has anybody expierenced this problem before, any clues how to deal with
this, I had no problems on
Redhat 8.0 on 2.4 so this is kernel related???

With kind regards
Fons van der Beek