Re: Turning off ipv6 -- !!DO IT!! [was: Need help with a DNS problem]

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 14:43:01 -0700
Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 15:30, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > IPV6 is only supposed to load if /etc/sysconfig/network contains the
> > line:
> >
> > 	NETWORKING_IPV6=yes
> >
> > If you don't want IPV6, delete that line or set it to
> >
> > 	NETWORKING_IPV6=no
> >
> > BTW, a quick scan of /etc/rc.d/init.d/network would have revealed this.
>
> A quick glance at the contents of /etc/init.d and /etc/sysconfig seems
> to show that this is the way that system initialization is *supposed* to
> work, but it looks that it isn't the way that it *does* work, at least
> under FC2.  On my system, /etc/sysconfig contains:
>         $ cat /etc/sysconfig
>         NETWORKING=yes
>         HOSTNAME=amito.localdomain
> but lsmod definitely shows that ipv6 *is* loaded.
>
> I got rid of it by adding (as suggested in a later posting) the line:
> 	alias net-pf-10 off
> to:
> 	/etc/modprobe.conf
>
> I *strongly* recommend that you do this.  It speeds up web surfing by a
> lot (probably because Doubleclick doesn't handle ipv6 properly), and
> seems to speed up the system in general (though I can't even guess why.)

You'll find the sysconfig method speeds up surfing just the same.  You're
right the module is still loaded but this is a very small cost in terms of
memory use.  The recommended method will work even if you happen to be using
a kernel that has IPV6 compiled in and module unloading isn't an option.

Cheers,
Sean