Re: boo to Cyrus

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 08:23:16PM -0400, Tom Elsesser wrote:

> > I like imap-2002d.  I like SquirrelMail.  Why change to Cyrus?  It isn't
> > integrated into Linux and it is a big pain in the unmentionable areas of
> > the body.  Does anyone know why this change was inflicted on us?
>
> Actually, my version of FC2 came with Dovecot as the imap server. It was
> very simple to setup, and seems to work well. But I agree, the uw-imap and
> squirrelmail played together nicely, I wonder why they changed as well.

Actually FC2 comes with both Dovecot and Cyrus imap packages.

    $ rpm -qa | grep cyrus
    cyrus-sasl-devel-2.1.18-2
    cyrus-imapd-devel-2.2.3-11
    cyrus-imapd-murder-2.2.3-11
    cyrus-sasl-md5-2.1.18-2
    cyrus-imapd-utils-2.2.3-11
    cyrus-sasl-gssapi-2.1.18-2
    cyrus-sasl-2.1.18-2
    cyrus-imapd-2.2.3-11
    cyrus-sasl-plain-2.1.18-2
    cyrus-imapd-nntp-2.2.3-11
    $ rpm -qa | grep -i dove
    dovecot-0.99.10.5-0.FC2

Both can be installed and one of the two selected via chkconfig.
Without special tinkering to change the network ports only one
of the two should be 'on' at the same time time.

    #  chkconfig --list | egrep -i "cyrus|dove"
    cyrus-imapd     0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
    dovecot         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off

One could compile and install the old imapd by hand and leave these
puppies off. A clever man could force the FC1 rpm for imap-2002d to
install on FC2 and not let the new versions stomp on it.  But dovecot
would be simpler than this type of hacking.

      dovecot is simple
      cyrus-imap is complex and feature rich

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l