Re: [Fedora] Re: FC1 stable, FC2 ... you wish.

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 18:45:32 +0100
Andy Green <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't mean to dig at selinux, which I understand enough about to see is very
> worthwhile for everyone as you say (and indeed I elsewhere said I think it
> will be great).  I was musing about tensions between the "community" and
> commercial drivers on Fedora.

But what is your musing?   What are you trying to say?   What is it that you want?

It's appropriate that you put quotations around the word community because
I think you're using it to mean anyone-with-an-opinion.   But that is not the
Fedora community.    The folks at RedHat have been very explicit about what
people should expect.   The decision to pursue selinux and the 2.6 kernel
was driven to meet the needs of the Fedora community which includes
people who want to explore emerging technologies.   For those whose needs
are not met by the Fedora project, its time to look elsewhere.   Fedora is
not meant for everybody.

Having said that, nobody is trying to drive people away.   This has been a bit
of a bumpy upgrade but nobody is forced to move to FC2.   For the more
conservative amongst us, it's fine to stay with FC1 and skip FC2.   Even better
would be to upgrade to FC2 anyway and help work out any problems found.
That way things will improve at a faster pace.

> I guess if SuSE had it (news to me) then Redhat pretty much had to go all out
> for it.

It's in the mainline kernel and stands to be a positive step forward for Linux
security.   Our community is looking forward to it :o)   Anyway, i'm guessing
the next few releases will be much smaller steps and a bit easier to manage.

Cheers,
Sean