Re: [Fedora] Re: FC1 stable, FC2 ... you wish.

On Tuesday 08 June 2004 14:41, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Craig White wrote:

> > - it ain't a bug if it isn't in bugzilla.

Yeah, it might not get addressed if it ain't in Bugzilla, but it's a bug as
soon as someone is burning time on it.

> Sorry for the rambling.  It just feels like my best friend died. :(

It obviously isn't that bad :-)

> That's the funny thing.  Every time somebody complains that FC is
> "unstable" or "experimental" (usually threatening to move to another
> distro in the same breath), about a dozen acolytes jump in and slam the
> OP.  Those of us who are becoming more and more unhappy with FC miss the
> solidity of RHL.  We're lifting our voices, hoping for a positive response
> but getting slammed instead.

> > I am amazed at the number of people that don't recognize the
> > experimental nature of the Fedora distribution and are content to be

Both points of view seem fair.... but what does it mean to say Fedora is
"experimental"... does it mean there should be no QA and the current tree
goes out the door on the ship date and that's okay?  I don't think that
happened at all, but clearly something inbetween a nightly build and a fully
signed off release happened.  I myself was defending FC2 on an unrelated
board, it was selinux, the 2.6 transition, etc,  and was depressed to find
that the latest SuSE is 2.6 and not exhibiting the kinds of problems we see
in FC2 - plus you can do wild, cutting edge stuff like plug a USB stick or
camera in it out of the box and it does something.

Well, okay, that doesn't make me give up and download SuSE, but it does make
me think about....

> > part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

...how the release decisions are made, how the project IS interfacing to "the
community", who defines the version by version goals, what that now slightly
disturbing RH phrase "community supported" actually means.  If there are
problems in there, I know people out here will want to "be part of the
solution".

On the fairness side, the dev process and access to the devs is far from
opaque, RH fund the whole thing, they can do what they like in the end, and
good luck to them since it is all GPL'd nobody is impoverished by it.
Basically RH are great.

OTOH there is this increasingly obvious tension between what an actual
community project might do and motivations driven by servicing Enterprise
(eg, the focus on selinux?)

- -Andy

- --
Automatic actions for USB cameras, cardreaders, memory sticks, MP3 players
http://warmcat.com/usbautocam